PMO Assessment and Roadmap
In order for this rapidly expanding healthcare revenue cycle management leader to hospitals and physician groups to continue to grow and expand its dominance in the market, the executive team determined that an effort to strengthen the firm’s PMO and project delivery capabilities was needed. Optimize was retained to assess the organization’s PMO ecosystem and project performance and provide a detailed roadmap for improvement.
In addition to interviews with key stakeholders and leaders, Optimize gathered and analyzed:
- Project portfolio funding, performance monitoring, and corrective action methods.
- Executive and client stakeholder documents, reports, and expectation setting practices.
- PMO change (organization) management strategies and techniques.
- Project delivery operations—methodology, governance, processes, tools and metrics.
- PMO leadership qualifications and performance.
- PMO goals, objectives, mission, vision, structure, performance management and feedback.
Evaluating the client’s current state of operations and delivery against best practices in project, portfolio, program, and PMO management discipline, and project and PMO performance trend date in the healthcare sector, Optimize socialized a multi-part, sequential improvement plan, organized by priority. The plan included specific steps and a timeline for strengthening the PMO mission, organizational accountabilities, metrics, tools and processes, as well as suggestions for reorganizing the team and transitioning its executive sponsorship. The client also received recommendations for improving project selection (“portfolio management”) – its criteria, decision making construct and protocols – as well as enhancements to enterprise-wide project delivery, including leaner processes, on-demand project management training, expanded utilization of the PPM tool’s features and techniques for producing more meaningful project communications.
The client implemented the Optimize PMO / PM Roadmap, which resulted in:
- Tighter alignment between funded projects, customer expectations and the enterprise-wide strategy.
- A PMO with greater clarity of mission, higher performing members, leaner processes and stronger organizational support.
- 23% improvement in project time and budget performance within a 6 month period.